Freedom To Succeed.
Star Fleet has designed an independent contractor program that creates a straight forward approach to doing business and one that assists an independent contractor in becoming a successful owner-operator.
Driver Benefits & Requirements
Take a look at the content below to see the benefits and requirements for partnering with Star Fleet Trucking.
- Drive for Gold Rewards Program
- Per-Trip Compensation
- Single Point of Contact
- Flexible Dispatch
- Quick Driver Pay (Up to Three Times Daily)
- Upfront Advances
- 25 years of age
- Valid driver’s license. CDL Class A license is preferred for the RV division
- CDL Class A license required for rail and mobile home division
- No more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years or no more than 2 moving violations in the last year.
- No more than 2 preventable accidents in the last 3 years or no more the 2 preventable accidents in any one year period.
- No record of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- No indication of disregard for public safety. No habitual offender convictions.
- No drug or alcohol test failures or refusals.
- No pre-employment drug test failures.
- These documents must be made available before approval:
- Drivers license
- Social security card
- Valid DOT physical (long form and certificate)
- Title and registration for equipment
- Valid DOT inspection (with paid receipt) within last six months
- Proof of insurance
The fastest growing division and the largest truck fleet is the recreational vehicle group. This segment delivers travel trailers and 5th wheels to retailers coast to coast and Canada. This group is made up of 1 ton pickup truck owner/operators for the tow behind units.As an owner-operator, you will need to provide a properly registered and inspected 1 ton diesel pickup truck with an 8 foot bed. Additionally, the following equipment is necessary:
- Class III receiver hitch rated at 10,000 pounds positioned 20" to 22" from the ground.
- 5th wheel rated for at least 18,000 pounds. No Slider Plates!
- Mud flaps behind rear wheels.
- Fuel tank or toolboxes can be no more than 2 inches above the top of the bed rails.
- Load distribution bar rated at 1,000 pounds.
- Electric brake control.
- Bed and bumper plug connections.
- 2 5/16 inch hitch ball.
- Fire Extinguisher and Safety Triangles.
- 12-volt Battery for Breakaway use.
- 4-way Lug Wrench - Torque Wrench required with aluminum wheels
- Hitch Padlock
- Truck to be home state plated at 26,000 pounds.
- Trucks over 10 years old must be approved.
With two terminals strategically located in northern Indiana and eastern Pennsylvania, Star Fleet is able to service leading manufactured housing markets in Indiana, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina. These houses are transported with heavy duty Semi-trucks from the factory to the retailer or customer’s site.Due to the over-sized dimensions of the houses they require one or two escort vehicles depending on the state. Most deliveries from Indiana are within 700 miles, but some deliveries can be over 1100 miles. The average delivery from Pennsylvania and North Carolina is within 300 miles. As an owner-operator, you will need to provide:
- A properly registered and inspected single or tandem drive Toter truck
- A two, four or six way ball hitch and pintle hitch.
- Warning lights and hook up for house.
- Spare tire rack.
- Extended mirrors.
- Fire extinguisher and safety triangles.
- Safety Chains.
- 1 ton diesel pickup truck, cab chassis truck, or a Semi Tractor and a lowboy style trailer with 48 - 53 foot ramp trailer.
- Trailer must be able to take a full 53 foot load.
- Ramp/Lowboy trailer must be capable of carrying a 102 inch wide X a 126(10.5ft) inch high unit.
- Trailer must have a center rail.
- Minimum 9000 pound winch.
- 5 or 6 ball stands for both 2 inch and 2 5/16 inch hitch ball.
- 10 - 12 tie-down straps. (Wheel bonnets or wheel straps preferred)
- Tow Mirrors.
- Safety chains.
- Fire Extinguisher and Safety Triangles.
- Tow car 3,400 lbs or less (hitch & light set-up for towing)
- If tow car is more than 3,000 lbs, it must be equipped with a braking system such as a brake buddy or invisibrake
- Tow bar suitable for towed weight
- Annual legalization fee
- Chains or cables (minimum of two 6’ lengths, must be rated for minimum weight of towed vehicle)
- Drop receiver (with 2” ball if needed)
- Pins or locks for tow bar, hitch, & drop receiver
- Set of 3 triangles and/or 6 fuses
- Assorted fuses for electrical on both vehicles
Still Have Questions?
We Have Answers.
Take your time to review some of our FAQs, and get in touch if you have any other questions.
All of Star Fleet Trucking drivers are independent contractors.
Typically we can process an application and have the driver approved within a few days.
Yes, but only under certain circumstances. Please contact recruiting at 877-805-9547 for more information.
Not on all loads, but lack of a CDL restricts your options.
A CDL-A is required for a truck and trailer combination that has a gross vehicle weight rating over 26,000 pounds.
Less than 1/2 of all deliveries require a CDL-A.
No, we do not pull anything that requires a gooseneck. We only pull 5th wheels and travel trailers.
Only qualified co-independent contractors and/or spouse.
No, but it is difficult to stay busy when you choose to only take loads to certain areas.
Yes, we are subject to all the DOT regulations pertaining to trucking
Yes. You are considered a commercial vehicle.
50% is paid up front and the remaining on the same day that your paperwork is turned in after delivery has been made. The money is deposited onto your EFS card.
Star Fleet provides liability and cargo insurance at no charge to the driver.
Continental 48 states and all of Canada (if you have a current passport).
We have a non-forced dispatch so there is some flexibility, but it is difficult to stay busy if you’re not willing to run nationwide.
A driver can go out as often as they would like, as long as they stay within the DOT guidelines.
Pay varies from driver to driver based on how many miles you are willing to drive.
It varies with fuel prices and conditions (call recruiting office (877-805-9547) for current rate).
Your annual mileage is dictated by you and how much you wish to drive.
Yes. Please contact your dispatcher out of courtesy.
Trucks over 10 years old must be approved by Recruiting.
You pay all road expenses except loaded tolls and permits (where needed).
Yes, if you are in the RV division. Limiting to one or the other restricts your flexibility.
There is no wait time, because you can or will call in for a load before you arrive at the terminal.
You have access to the terminal 24/7, but you must confirm your load before 3pm Monday–Friday.
Your safety ALWAYS comes first and you should only drive when comfortable.